Sunday, July 11, 2010

Amanda's Horror Years -1986

1986 was a great year for horror movies. Some of my all-time faves were released in this year.Of course, you might be seeing some tacky remakes of them soon, so at least we can look back to when horror movies were still entertaining...As usual, let me know if you have any favourites that aren't here. I can't possibly include everything so I just chose some good ones...

Let me begin with the best ones. Deadly Friend was Wes Craven's movie about a young teen who decides to bring his best friend back to life when she is killed. Of course, it all goes wrong..It stars Kristy Swanson. The Hitcher appeared on our screens for the first time this year and he struck terror into our hearts as Rutger Hauer took C. Thomas Howell on a hellish ride...That movie is one of my favourites and it is still as good today unlike some tacky remake I could mention. Maximum Overdrive was a Stephen King movie which starred Emilio Estevez and despite what some people say, I liked that movie a lot. Witchboard was released in 1986 and I liked it because it was scary and it dealt with the dangers of messing with the spirits especially if you're a red haired model!! Charlie Sheen turned up in a low budget movie called The Wraith and, you guessed it, he was a ghost.. Trick or Treat was a Halloween offering and it combined rock and murder!!!April Fools Day was another horror with some good scares! The Fly buzzed onto our screens and David Cronenberg made us squirm as we watched Jeff Goldblum transform into a gigantic bug...

There were plenty of sequels to keep us entertained too. One of my favourite was Psycho 3. I liked that movie a lot and I consider it a classic(for me at least).Poltergeist 2 showed up this year also and I liked it too even if it wasn't as good as the original. Demons 2 was out in 1986 and I thought that it was a very good sequel. Of course, there was another Friday the 13th movie out this year and it was the 6th one called Jason Lives. Of course, we knew that no matter how many times he was 'killed', he would be back! Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 appeared and I liked this sequel too. It was fun with the late Dennis Hopper.

Some other movies from this year were Critters, Chopping Mall,Rawhead Rex, From Beyond, Sorority House Massacre, Class of Nuke Em High and Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer. The comedy horror House was released in 1986 and it was very entertaining. Night of the Creeps was a zombie movie which just had to be included here. Slaughter High was a slasher offering from this year. Mountaintop Motel Massacre was another low budget horror released this year...

That is all I can include, but if you have any more, let me know....

1 comments:

Sci-Fi Gene said...

Can't believe it! I haven't seen any of these (apart from The Fly. Obviously I've seen The Fly.) I must have just slept through 1986 - will have to do something about this ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin