Sunday, July 2, 2017

Puppet Master Movie Review







Puppet Master is a 1989 horror movie directed by David Schmoeller and starring William Hickey, Paul Le Mat,Irene Miracle and Jimmie F. Skaggs.


The movie begins with a man called Toulon(Hickey) making puppets in 1939 in the Bodega Bay Inn. These are different puppets because they are alive! He has given them life. Two men are coming to get him. They are Nazis.His puppets are worried about what will happen. He hides them in a case and puts them into a crevice in the wall in a hotel. He kills himself before they can get him. Cut to 1989 and a group of people are coming to stay at the same hotel. They are not ordinary people. They all have psychic powers. They are Alex(Le Mat), Dana(Miracle), Frank(Matt Roe) and Carissa(Kathryn O' Reilly). They are going to visit their friend, Neil(Skaggs). They arrive at meet Neil's wife, Megan(Robin Frates) and find out that Neil has killed himself.


They all have visions of bad things happening in the hotel. A puppet runs out of Neil's coffin. They talk about Toulon and the method that he had for breathing life into his puppets. It comes from Egypt.
The housekeeper gets hit by something and she disappears. Alex tells the group that he came to the hotel because he had a dream and he wanted to make sure that it didn't come true. Dana tells them that Neil wants to kill them all. She tries to protect them. Carissa and Frank are having some fun in their room when she hears something. She sees a puppet, Tunneler who kills her. Frank is tied up in the bed and blindfolded when another puppet appears. She is called Leech Woman. She vomits leeches onto her victims and kills them. She does this to Frank.


Dana gets attacked by two puppets, Pinhead and Blade. They kill her. Megan comes to get Alex in the night and she takes him up to the attic where she shows him Toulon's diary. He was using Egyptian methods to give the puppets life. Neil appears. He is dead, but he used Toulon's methods to bring himself back. He wants to live forever. He brought all of the psychics there to kill them. He used the puppets but then he turns on them. He married Megan for her money and to get access to the hotel. He killed her parents too. The puppets get angry with him . Megan hits him and she and Alex run off. They look for a way out. Neil comes after them and he beats Alex. The puppets step in and Pinhead traps Neil in the elevator. Neil tries to destroy Pinhead. Tunneler drills into his leg. All of the puppets gang up on him and kill him. The movie ends with Alex leaving and Megan staying in the hotel alone. Has she picked up Toulon's methods as a dog who was previously stuffed is now alive......


This film has everything that you want in a horror movie. It is pure 1980's horror fun which I miss. I loved the different puppets, each with their own skill set.I do find puppets creepy at the best of times, so that made the movie even better!! The story is good and the puppets are pretty good for the time it was made. The cast were fine and there were some good scenes, especially the one with Leech Woman! If you enjoy 80's horror as much as I do, then this is a must see. I am making my way through the sequels at the moment and of course, I will review them when I can. So to finish up, I highly recommend this film and I guarantee that you will enjoy it! Have a look if you haven't seen it and I will give Puppet Master an 8/10.



8 comments:

Susan Leighton said...

Great review, Jigs. Saw this back in the day. It was enjoyable. In the 80s, it was about fun not making statements. Pure horror.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Susan. I saw this somewhere along the way. I can't quite remember when! It was good to sit down and watch it properly. I really liked it. I am a fan of 80's horror and this is a great one to watch as it was just what I love. I liked the puppets, of course and the whole movie was entertaining. I have made my way through 2,3 and 4 so I will review them in due course!!

Unknown said...

This is a great review Jigsaw. I will admit I'm a huge Charles Band fan and a Full Moon streaming customer. That being said this was the franchise that started it for me. I really enjoyed this movie.

Movieman said...

Cool review, thanks.

Amanda said...

Thanks John.I really liked it too.The puppets are great fun and this is 80's horror at its best!

Amanda said...

Thanks for reading!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember this one but has probably been since it was released since I've seen it, so all the details are foggy. Thanks for the great review, I'll have to check it out again. Unfortunately it's not on Netflix and Amazon Prime only has 4 and 5 available.

Amanda said...

No problem!!!This was so much fun and just great 80's horror which I love.If you can get a chance to watch it, then I think that you will enjoy it!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin