Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Rites of Passage Movie Review 408






  
Rites of Passage is a 2012 thriller/horror movie directed by W.Peter lliff and starring Stephen Dorff, Christian Slater and Wes Bentley.


This movie begins with a nerdy guy called Nathan(Ryan Donowho) who is in an anthropology class with his friends and his professor Nash(Dorff). His parents own a ranch where there was an Indian burial ground and he wants the professor and his pals to come along to have some Indian ceremony together. He brings along his pal Dani(Kate Maberly) whom he fancies. Nathan's brother Benny(Bentley) live son the ranch and he is very disturbed as he is taking an Indian herb which makes him hallucinate that he is part of a tribe. He is on the lookout for a bride and anyone will do as long as she looks the part. He goes to a college party and meets some of Nathan's pals who think that he is a weirdo. Nathan is worried about his brother as he doesn't look well. Benny is going home when a girl asks him for a ride home.


Next morning, Benny hasn't realised what he has done. He goes to his private room and finds the girl tied up there. He doesn't remember what he did the night before, but he has no choice but to kill her.
A weird guy called Delgado(Slater) lives on the ranch with Benny. They don't really get along, but they tolerate each other. Delgado knows that Benny is up to no good. Delgado smokes meth because his family were killed by a young drunk driver. He wants revenge on the girl.Now, what are the odds that Dani and her friends are coming to the ranch with Nathan and she just happens to be the young girl who killed his family. Could it get more convenient?


The college kids arrive and all hell breaks loose. Delgado wants revenge. Benny sees Dani and thinks that she will make a perfect bride and Nathan tries to work out what is going on around the place.
This movie was funny for obvious reasons. If the premise doesn't make you laugh, then you won't like this. It was weird and strange but good fun. I had never heard anything about this film , then it was on TV and I liked the cast so I gave it a chance and it was entertaining in its own way. If you like your horror a little strange, then this is for you. I will give it a 5/10.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this movie was a good sign of Christian Slater's acting career when I first started watching it. But then the more I watched the more ridiculously entertaining it became, and by the end I actually enjoyed it.

I'd give it the sake score since it just wasn't a really good movie, but the entertainment factor can't be overlooked either.

Amanda said...

This was a weird movie.I was amazed by how silly it was.I like Christian Slater but he was not great here.Dorff wasn't great either.His part was pretty small.Bentley's character was the oddest of all The plot was just messy and I did have to laugh at parts of it.The actress who played Dani irritated me beyond belief.It ended up being more comedy than horror I think.

Anonymous said...

That's what I thought too, it was more comedy than anything else. But it was hard to tell if it was a bad film that was comical or a comedy that just wasn't really funny. But somehow I still enjoyed it.

Amanda said...

Yes,me too.I think that if you just go with it, then it is fun.It is not a movie that I would watch again despite the good cast

Blog Widget by LinkWithin