Thursday, October 8, 2009

Best Stephen King Adaptations Part 2


So, I left off the last time with Pet Sematary(1989) which was a pretty decent movie.Next came Graveyard Shift(1990) which wasn't great to be honest.It(1990) was a very entertaining movie and it was a delight for those who had read the book. Misery(1990) was a great book and I really liked it. Seeing it on screen was brilliant as the movie was faithful to the book for the most part. Sometimes They Come Back(1991) was a low-budget affair, but it remains one of my favourite Stephen King adaptations. Sleepwalkers(1992) followed that one and it is a good movie too starring Brian Krause. The Dark Half(1993) was an enjoyable movie and I liked it too.The Tommyknockers(1993) starred Jimmy Smits and it was a good movie/mini-series.


Next we have the great Needful Things(1993) which I really like. The book is better than the movie, but the movie is still very good. The Stand(1994) was one of the best books I've ever read and the mini-series was really good. It brought the characters to life and Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald starred in that one along with Rob Lowe and Jamey Sheridan.The Shawshank Redemption is based on a short story by King and the movie was very well made and it received a lot of praise and Morgan Freeman won an Oscar for it. The Mangler(1995) wasn't great and is probably best forgotten. Dolores Claiborne(1995) was an interesting book and the movie wasn't bad either. The Langoliers(1995) was a great short story by King and I loved the mini-series. Thinner(1996) was a novel written under King's pseudonym Richard Bachman and it was good.


The Night Flier(1997) was another movie adaptation, but I didn't like it much. Apt Pupil(1998) was not really a horror movie, but it was interesting and it starred Ian McKellen and Brad Renfro who is no longer with us. Storm of The Century(1999) was not based on a book or a novel but it was specially written by King himself for TV and I loved it despite some bad reviews I have read of it. The Green Mile(1999) was a really good movie based on the book by Stephen King and I really liked the story. It was sad, but hopeful at the same time. Michael Clark Duncan won an Oscar for this one and it was well-deserved. I liked Tom Hanks in it too. Hearts In Atlantis(2001) starred Anthony Hopkins and it was entertaining. Rose Red(2002) was a great mini-series and I really liked it. Dreamcatcher(2003) was a good movie starring Morgan Freeman,Thomas Jane and Jason Lee. Secret Window(2004) starred the always entertaining Johnny Depp and it is based on a short story. I liked it until the end which I felt went too far away from the original story,but on the whole, I liked it.


Riding the Bullet(2004) was a mess and the less said about that the better. Desperation(2006) was a mini-series which starred Ron Perlman and Tom Skerrit. I loved the book and this mini-series was faithful enough to the book. The TV series Nightmares and Dreamscapes(2006) was very good and I loved it. I had read the book and to see the stories come to life was brilliant.1408(2007) was based on a short story by King and it starred John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson. I liked it and I thought that it was a good adaptation. The Mist(2007) was a favourite story of mine from King and I liked the movie a lot. It was faithful to the story and I was happy with that. I watched Dolan's Cadillac(2009) recently and I liked the movie. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad. It stars Christian Slater as the sleazy Dolan. So, that is all the best Stephen King adaptations so far. I will be back with some of the ones I didn't really like soon..

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin